Saturday, August 29, 2009

Books, the Brit on My Mobile, and Liturgical Music Mayhem

Hello, trolly people.

Today I picked up my books. Since I had the first slot for registration, I had the back slot for getting books. Got about half on loan, had to buy the others. We walked through Trafalgar Square to get from the Centre to Waterstones, the bookstore. The Square was PACKED. Everyone and their Asian counsin came out to sightsee. It's comforting to know there's always going to be someone who looks more out of the loop than me.

I asked for my three copies of plays for my Shakespeare class, Othello, As You Like It, and Troilus and Cressida. Got 'em. I've never heard of the last one, so that should be interesting.

I walked back with my roomie Claire, and we stopped at an EXTREMELY AUTHENTIC and UTTERLY BRITISH cafe, that was OH SO CULTURAL and NOT SUBWAY, and split a footlong spicy italian on wheat.

Got back, realized I had a missed call, called the number, then got a call back from an English bloke. I said, "Hello, I got a call from this number earlier." He said, "Aw, I 'ad this numba down fa a chap named Steve." "Um...nope." "Soure, love!" And he hung up.

In other news, I have offered to organize music for the Mass for the LUP (London Undergraduate Programme) tomorrow. Which wasn't the smartest idea ever, because I can't exactly play the piano. I can play broken chords in a panic, but I've never done this before on my own, and I don't exactly have a choir to work with. I chose an Opening Song, Offertory, Communion and Closing Hymn, and left the rest up to be spoken. Hopefully people will take pity on me and sing, seeing as the lyrics will be in the programme. This could be a disaster. Note to self: don't offer to do music without a confirmed pianist on call.

Tonight is a big "match." Manchester United is playing Arsenal. I think I'm supposed to root for Arsenal. The only thing I know about either team is that Orlando Bloom likes Man U. (Don't ask me how I know that. I was fourteen once.) So I think I may end up somewhere watching that game. Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. this all sounds so exciting! I can't wait to get to Dublin to be a hop away from you, and to start getting some of this fantastic worldly experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were supposed to root for Arsenal because they are a partner team of The Colorado Rapids.

    ReplyDelete